Tuesday 23 November 2010

TechEd Berlin - Teched Out!

As many of you know I was at TechEd a few weeks back and it’s taken this long for my feet to recover, catch up and generally get back on track.

The first thing I want to do on this posting is congratulate Christopher Mallon of the University of Manchester. He joined us on the ChangeBASE stand and was entered into our prize draw for a weekend for two in Europe. Chris has chosen a spring weekend in Rome for him and Mrs Mallon, which I’m sure will be fantastic.

For those who were at TechEd, I’m sure you’ll agree there’s some pretty exciting stuff happening in the Microsoft world at the minute and we’re very excited about how this knits into AOK and our development roadmap.

Talking to delegates on the ChangeBASE stand and our partners such as Dell, Converter Technology and Flexera, the big thing for me personally was that the industry is really ramping up on their Windows 7 migrations. It looks like 2011 will be the year that the OS makes its mark on the market, and in addition, 64-bit seems to be leading the charge as the preferred hardware platform.

Two other developments from Microsoft stood out for me. The first is the launch of App-V 4.6 SP1. The announcement made on the Wednesday night highlighted the inclusion of some key areas that further position App-V as a major player in the virtualisation space.  The second most exciting thing for me was Remote FX – the new graphics technology built in to Terminal Services.

From a ChangeBASE perspective, if the success of TechEd Berlin is anything to go by, we’ll be out in force at these events in the future.
(I’ll be putting a foot spa and new shoe leather on my Christmas list!)

No comments: