Windows 8 Embedded appears to be broken down into 2 Products (or SKU's) with Windows 8 Standard and Windows 8 Enterprise.
Windows 8 Embedded Standard includes the following features;
- Advanced device lockdown through flexible keyboard filters and a new unified write filter that combines previous write filters into a single, streamlined solution for better management and enhanced uptime.
- Support for customized experiences and branding from boot to shut down, so apps can take advantage of Windows with a customized look and feel from the first press of the power button.
- Componentization of the OS to scale the system up or down depending on the device.
- IT pro management tools, including the Universal Configuration Tool (UCT) that provides for local and remote management, integrated into the security infrastructure.
- OS development tools, including the new Module Designer that allows developers to easily integrate third-party software into the OS, including the ability to copy files, execute commands, install drivers and modify the registry.
Microsoft has not released all of the details for Windows 8 Enterprise yet, but, when these details are released, I will update this blog posting.
Windows Embedded Standard 8 community technology preview
Microsoft Intelligent Systems Roadmap
Microsoft Embedded Enterprise Homepage